PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Course
The next step for Open Water divers!
The Advanced Open Water Diver Course is a highly customizable course designed to give you practical experience in a number of specialty diving areas. After completing your beginner's Open Water Diver course, there is no need to wait to take the Advanced Course. This course is designed to build your confidence and give you the experience and skills that you need to enjoy scuba diving in many and varied conditions.
You'll begin by reading the academic materials at home on your own time. The material will then be reviewed with you and your instructor prior to your five Adventure Dives. The objective of the program is to give you as much time as possible in open-water diving situations, while under the supervision of an experienced Seal Sports scuba instructor. Each dive is designed to introduce students to critical knowledge and skills that build upon the previous Open Water Diver Course. Unlike the Open Water Course, the Advanced Open Water Diver Course involves little written testing, and no pool dives. All five Adventure Dives are in open water conditions.
What does the Advanced Open Water Diver Course Involve?
In the Advanced course, you will make a total of five scuba dives over two days. Two of the five dives are required: Underwater Navigation and Deep Diving (60-100 feet). We keep our Advanced courses small so that each student receives the individual attention needed to sharpen skills and gain confidence and knowledge. As a class, we will choose three additional Adventure Dives. Due to the rich opportunities for Wreck Diving in the Gulf, this is the most commonly requested dive.
Dives may include:
- Wreck Diver
- Underwater Photography (bring your own camera or borrow ours!)
- Peak Performance Buoyancy
- Night Diver
- Search and Recovery
- Underwater Hunter
- Underwater Naturalist
- Boat Diver
and many more! Each Adventure Dive may credit towards the first dive of the corresponding PADI Specialty Diver Course.
Where do we dive? How long will it take to become certified?
We usually teach the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course over a weekend in beautiful Pensacola, Florida. With one of the fastest charter boats around, we can reach prime diving locations quickly, allowing for more time in-water to explore, build skills, and discover the wonders of our area diving. Wreck diving may include the Joseph L. Meek, Pete Tide II, or other amazing wrecks in the area. ALL dives are included in the price of this course. A short evening classroom session, prior to the dive-weekend, will take place the week of the dive. This will allow students to go over their training manual (no exam) with the instructor, discuss the upcoming dive trip, fill out paperwork, and arrange for any needed rental gear.
What are the requirements to take the Advanced Open Water Diver Course?
- PADI Open Water Diver Certification (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- 12 Years of Age (Students 12 to 14 qualify for Junior Advanced Open Water Diver certification by taking this course, which can be upgraded automatically to adult-level certification on their 15th birthday.)
- Special Note: New divers often worry about whether they are "ready" for the Advanced course. In fact, if you have any concerns about your abilities as a diver, enrolling in the Advanced Open Water Diver course should be the very next thing you do after completing your beginning course. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.
How Much Does it Cost? Our Advanced Open Water Diver Course includes the following:
- All Instructor Fees
- All Five Adventure Dives
- All Scuba Tanks & Fills
- Discount Equipment Rental ("2 days for the price of 1")
- Certification card processing
Full Course Price: $355
Students are responsible for supplying:
- Adventures in Diving Manual (available at Seal Sports)
- Personal diving equipment
- Transportation to and from dive sites.
- Accommodations and meals, as needed.